Bruce Gleason and the Backyard Skeptics of Orange County had a great idea. The Bible is full of immoral laws that no decent modern Christian or Jew would follow. Why not remove them from the Bible? For example:
- If a man finds his wife not to be a virgin, the community can stone her to death. (Deuteronomy 22: 14-31)
- Stone disobedient children. (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
- Only women who have children will be spared hell. (1 Timothy 2:15)
- Prostitution is punished by burning the woman alive. (Leviticus 21:9)
- Jesus said, "But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." (Luke 19:27)
What did the Christians say about this? Well, good ol' Ray Comfort (the infamous banana man who has been widely ridiculed) showed up to give his usual silly response. Basically, his message was we shouldn't "blame Christians for Jewish Scriptures." Wait ... wasn't Jesus a Jew?
Ray Comfort went on to enlighten us even more. "Atheists are a very, very tiny minority, but very loud. They're like chihuahuas. They're yappy little creatures because they've got an inferiority complex."
Good stuff, Ray! How thoughtful!
It should be a fun meeting the Backyard Skeptics on Thursday. See you all there!